Monday 16 October 2017

ART FOR ARTS SAKE*


*Money for god's sake

OK, we've all heard the saying and many of us have been lucky to have heard that excellent 10 CC song from the seventies.

10 CC - ART FOR ART'S SAKE

Art in all of its forms, good and bad, is good for the 'soul' of society. It can be uplifting and rewarding or stimulating and frightening. Sometimes it's used for bad purposes (religious and political propaganda for example) but mostly it's used for the good. I don't really care if art - painting, sculpture, music etc is poorly executes as long as the artists are  trying to do their best.

My mother was a good painter and ceramic artist. I have skills in drawing and painting which I've never really followed up on because I'm too lazy. I studied art history at university and all of my life have been an enthusiastic follower of many forms of fine art and have been lucky enough to visit many galleries in New Zealand and around the world.

The Old Girl and I don't have much money but when we can we have purchased some interesting pieces (or artwork that is interesting to us) and have decorated our walls with them  We have so much in fact that we have to rotate them occasionally with the ones stored in the shed.

This sub-series as The Cultured Curmudgeon will be used to show some of the paintings, prints, drawings and reproductions we have that decorate or homes and enlighten or lives.

*****************************


Post number one: Stephanie McEwin.

McEwin is a Christchurch artist who has been doing rather well recently.


I purchased a matching pair of large canvases of hers some years ago after we had modernised our house in Auckland and had a large blank wall that needed something dramatic. On relocating up north this has found a place in the snooker room where the garish colouring distracts rival players.



The paintings work quite well in this room.

We have another McEwin which is one of my favourite paintings. This is The Blue man.
I don't know anything of the background to this but it struck me when I first saw it.



The blues and orange work well together and I can see this painting drawing in viewers if it was hung in a gallery.



5 comments:

  1. "I don't know anything of the background to this but it struck me when I first saw it."
    Did the painting fall on you?
    Actually, I really like this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog reminds me of a little Italian wine shop in Jackson Street. The shop is very interesting but, if you don't know where it is, it's almost impossible to find. I suggested to the owner that he fly an Italian flag outside, but he wants to stick with his regional flags. All good, except that, except for a few Italians in the area, no one knows what they are. You really need something like a link on Richard's Bass Bag's* LINKS Service. All you need to do is ask.


    * the original bass bagging site

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK thanks I'll take you up on the offer.
    I guess then that I'll be forced to write more posts given the demand that thousands of readers will create.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look I know that you're a schoolteacher but the previous comment was ironic OK?

    ReplyDelete